Monday, July 18, 2011

Singing… it’s part of who I am.  I still remember the day my Dad assembled the stereo cabinet in the front hall  and ran speakers into the living room.  Our lives were forever transformed by Petula Clark,  Doris Day, Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, Andy Williams, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, etc.  And then, there was that day that he brought home a microphone and plugged into it’s own jack in the stereo.  It was all over after that.  We were our own entertainment on many a night.  So, the other night when I gave a concert at the opening of a beautiful, new retirement center in a nearby town, I couldn’t help but see how the titles of the songs I sang fit nicely into a poem of sorts…. A Standard Poem, if you will.

A Standard Poem

What’s New?
(did you know)
I Have Got a Crush on You?
(i love having )
Someone to Watch Over Me
(and whisper in my ear)
Hello Dolly.
(i hear the)
Skylark
(and see the)
Orange Colored Sky
(and i think to myself)
What a Wonderful World.
(it’s)
Almost Like Being In Love.
When I Fall In Love
(i get)
Misty.
(do I need to spell it for you?)
L-O-V-E.
At Last
The Very Thought of You
(is)
Unforgettable.
(you make me)
Smile.

Patricia Spreng

No comments:

Post a Comment

A penny for your thoughts ...